Hawthorn Bank is committed to making sure that your online banking is safe and secure. With our security infrastructure in place, we are confident that access to your accounts is private and secure. Please review the following tips and guidelines to help ensure that your online experience on the Internet is safe and secure.
Passwords, Pin Numbers & Other Security
- Use a combination of letters, numbers and special characters (e.g. #, &).
- Change your passwords frequently.
- Create a password that is easy to remember but not easily guessed.
- Don't record your password or pin on anything you carry with you. Memorize them.
- Password-protect computer files that contain sensitive account or personal data.
- Shield your hand when using an ATM or Pin pad.
- Do not use the “save password” option on your computer.
- Select or create uncommon security/challenge questions.
Protect your Computer
- Install a firewall and anti-virus software. Keep the programs up-to-date.
- Never open an email from unknown sources. They may contain viruses.
- Choose companies that provide secure transactions and have strong privacy and security policies.
- Do not leave your computer unattended if you are in the middle of an Online Banking session.
- Always log-out of your account and close the browser.
- Do not click on any links in emails you are not expecting or know who they are from. It is always best to go directly to the website by typing in the address (or your favorites that are bookmarked) through your internet browser.
- If you receive any unsolicited email, text message or phone call requesting debit card, online banking ID/password or account information, do not reply and notify the bank immediately.
- Be aware of the sites you are visiting, especially when making online purchases. If the website looks suspicious, do not complete the transaction.
- Do not send any confidential information in emails.
Secure Tokens provide a one-time-use password entry into Hawthorn Online accounts. Each user is issued a secure token, which is registered to the user via Hawthorn Online. Secure tokens are a very secure option that significantly reduces the risk of an unauthorized user accessing your account.
This option allows you to establish a series of valid IP Addresses. If someone attempts to log in and the IP Address does not match one on your trusted and enabled list, they are presented with a message indicating that they cannot login.
This option allows you to establish a series of valid days of the week and/or time limitations. If someone attempts to log in and the day or time does not match what is enabled, they are presented with a message indicating that they cannot login.